Hello and welcome to the Woodpeckers class page!
We are a fabulous class of Year 5 children
Meet the team!
Mrs S Ellis
Mrs Fowkes Mrs Munton
In the Summer Term our learning will be based around the topic of South America.
Week 1 : Question
Week 2: Question
Weeks 3: Question
Week 4: Question
Week 5: Question
Week 6: Question
|Week 7: Question|
Our trip to Cromford Mill!
Look at the photos to see what fun we had learning about the Industrial Revolution at Cromford Mill in November.
In Literacy this term we will be covering a range of genres, these are as follows:
- Non Chronological Report writing - Animals of the Rainforest.
- Newspaper Report Writing - Tribes living in the Rainforest.
- Stories from another culture - Rite of Passage.
- Rainforest Poetry.
- Legends - The Wings of the Butterfly Folktale and The Hero Twins.
- Journey to the River Sea.
- Journey to the River Sea comprehension story.
In Maths this term we will be covering a range of concepts and themes, these are as follows:
Weeks 1 - 2: Number - Decimals
Weeks 3 - 4: Fractions
Weeks 5 - 7: Geometry - Properties of Shapes
Week 8 : Position and Direction
Week 9 - 10: Measure - Volume and Converting Units
Week 11 - 12: Problem Solving
Week 13 - 14: Mastery Activities
In Science this term we will be learning about Living Things and their Habitats:
- How do plants reproduce?
- Who can grow the tallest sunflower?
- What is the life cycle of a mammal?
- Who is Jane Goodall?
- What is Metamorphosis?
- What is the life cycle stages of a bird?
Here are the end of Year 5 expectations we will be working towards throughout the year!
Have a look at our Year 5 non negotiables for Maths and Literacy. This is what we expect Year 5 children to be able to do!
Ambassador Awards 2017-2018
This year we have incorporated the Learning Passport within a document that recognises children’s achievements in school and the wider community. What is expected in order for children to achieve their ’Ambassador Award’ comes under 4 headings:
- Behaviour and conduct
Each section has elements that underpin the values that as a school we hold dear. We believe that learning is something that continues every minute of the waking day and it is important to recognise children’s achievements not only in lessons but beyond. Adults in school will discuss each section with the children and how they can meet the criteria identified; we are hoping that the children will be able to take some ownership of the passport themselves!
Have a look at the Ambassador leaflet to find out more and look through 'Steps to Success' passport the Year 5 children will be working through this year to help them achieve their Ambassador Awards!
Help at Home
You can help your child at home by:
- Supporting your child with their Learning log tasks. These are set at the beginning of a topic and the children will have the whole half term to complete their chosen tasks. There is a wide range of tasks for the children to select from!
- Practising spellings sent home ready for the weekly test.
- Talk about what they are learning in class that week.
- Encourage your child to read out any writing they complete at home to check it makes sense and talk about the punctuation they have used.
- We would ask parents to encourage their children to practise all of their times tables.
Maths at home
Useful information and games
My maths - https://www.mymaths.co.uk/
Diary Dates for this term