and Woodpeckers' Class Page!
The entire Year Five team is really excited about all the amazing work we will do together in the Summer 1 half term!
Please note that our PE days for this half term are Monday and Thursday. Remember to come to school already changed into your PE kit on your PE days. Swimming will continue on Thursdays: don't forget to bring your swimming costume with you to school on that day!
In Topic this half term, we are considering the environment and the natural world and our impact upon it. We will discover the causes and effects of wasting our resources, from diminishing fuel reserves to saving energy, and how we can recycle to help our planet.
In Literacy, the children will read a new book: The Paperbag Prince by Colin Thompson. The main character is an old man who lives in a railway carriage on a rubbish dump. However, he knows that even rubbish can sometimes contain treasure, and that if he remains there long enough, gentle nature will heal the countryside and make things green again.
In Maths, we are developing our understanding of decimals. The children will learn how to:
- read and write decimal numbers as fractions [for example, 0.71 = ]
- recognise and use thousandths and relate them to tenths, hundredths and decimal equivalents
- round decimals with 2 decimal places to the nearest whole number and to 1 decimal place
- read, write, order and compare numbers with up to 3 decimal places
- solve problems involving number up to 3 decimal places
- recognise the per cent symbol (%) and understand that per cent relates to ‘number of parts per 100’, and write percentages as a fraction with denominator 100, and as a decimal fraction
- solve problems which require knowing percentage and decimal equivalents of , , , , and those fractions with a denominator of a multiple of 10 or 25
Remember to do as much reading as you can at home. Reading is perhaps the best way of learning and it can be really fun too.
Remember also to use Times Tables Rockstars regularly each week.